The Brown and White
I was a writer and editor for four years for Lehigh’s student newspaper (The Brown and White). All of my articles can be found online at either our old host or its current website. My best pieces can be found at these links:
1. Lehigh-Lafayette Rivalry Timeline (11/21/14): This is an interactive timeline I created with a classmate at Lehigh chronicling the history of the Lehigh-Lafayette football rivalry. It goes back through the 150 years of this rivalry, taking old photos from The Brown and White and combining it with information about the matchup.
2. Declining football attendance (5/4/15): This is a data-based story I wrote about the declining attendance at Lehigh football games, especially student attendance. It also included data gathered in an original survey, as well as infographics that I made.
3. Edit desk: #SiblingRivalry151 (11/19/15): This is an opinion piece I wrote on the benefits of rivalry and how my brother goes to my rival school, Lafayette College, leading up to the 151st game between the Lehigh and Lafayette football teams.
4. Lehigh men’s basketball falls to Holy Cross (3/9/16): This is a recap of the Lehigh men’s basketball team’s loss to Holy Cross in the Patriot League Championship.
5. All in the family: Shafnisky shares impact of family on football career (10/9/16): This is a profile I wrote on Lehigh football quarterback Nick Shafnisky and how his relationship with his family helped shape his football career.
6. Campus discusses recycling and waste removal progress at Lehigh (12/7/16): This is an in-depth story I wrote on Lehigh’s trash and recycling policies and how they’ve progressed since the school began doing so about 25 years ago.
7. ‘Knott’ to be denied: Fearless fifth-year talks life in Florida, finally winning Patriot League Championship (5/7/16): This is a feature story I wrote on Lehigh football player Derek Knott and his tough life growing up in Orlando, Florida, his music interest and his career on the football team.
This spring I was an intern for the Lehigh University sports information office. Here are some of my best pieces:
1. Cruz in control of his destiny for strong finish (2/22/17): This is a profile story I wrote on Lehigh wrestler Randy Cruz, his dominant career with the Mountain Hawks and the importance of family.
2. Team-first attitude fuels McGarrigle’s success (4/19/17): This is a profile story I wrote on Lehigh women’s golfer Elizabeth McGarrigle and how her team-first mindset was a huge part of the team’s success.
3. Making an impact (5/3/17): This is a profile story I wrote on Lehigh softball player Vicky Lattanzio and her leadership experience for the Mountain Hawks.
1. Ryan Arcidiacono: ‘It would mean the world’ if Sixers drafted me (6/20/16): This is a feature story on former Villanova men’s basketball star Ryan Arcidiacono after his pre-draft workout with the Sixers.
2. Always known for his defense, Peter Bourjos turning heads with hitting streak (7/1/16): This is a sidebar from a 4-3 win for the Phillies over the Royals on outfielder Peter Bourjos and his recent hitting streak, and why he’s not just a defensive player.
3. Cameron Ayers on father, Randy: ‘He was kind of like my own personal coach’ (7/18/16): This is a feature story I wrote on former Bucknell men’s basketball star Cameron Ayers and his relationship with his father, who was a former coach for the Philadelphia 76ers.
4. Don’t be so quick to write off Nelson Agholor (8/4/16): This is a piece I wrote while covering Eagles training camp where I discuss how the criticism for Nelson Agholor’s rookie season may have been too much.
5. Under Doug Pederson, much should change for Eagles — except special teams (8/15/16): This is an article from Eagles training camp about how the team will still have a big focus on special teams despite bringing in a new head coach.
Daily Local News
In summer 2015 I was an intern for the Daily Local News, covering local sports in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Here are some of my best pieces:
1. Terry Loper feature (5/30/15): This is a feature story I wrote on West Chester Rustin senior running back Terry Loper and his return to the field for the Valor Bowl, an all-star game for local seniors, from a shoulder injury.
2. Local gym wins state title (7/9/15): This is a feature story I wrote on the level 6 girls gymnastics team from Metzler’s Gym. They won the state championship in April 2015.
3. Adult basketball league feature (7/13/15): This is a feature story I wrote about the Just-A-Chance adult basketball league based in West Chester. The league allows kids who are in college or have graduated to keep playing basketball in their community.
- Honors Thesis: “Fly Twitter Fly: A network analysis of Philadelphia Eagles tweets
- Inside the Iggles author page
- Sensor journalism: independent study
- ArcGIS: LANta bus map analysis
- Social media in the NFL
- Sabermetrics: measuring $/WAR and projected salaries
- Do NFL QBs deserve their contracts? (2013)
- Do NFL QBs deserve their contracts? (2014)